Monday, November 21, 2011

Why I will never have a "normal" hospital birth again.

Basically this will be Falynn's birth story. I havent ever really told anyone my perspective of my birth with Falynn. I never felt the need too, other than trying to warn people against going the traditional route. I always thought your birth story had to be a homebirth, were you were empowered and did it yourself. But really any story of giving birth, is a birth story.

40 weeks, I go for my normal weekly checkup. I am told I have protein in my urine and my blood pressure is high, combine that with the 5-7 pounds of water weight I had gained in a week, and apparantly, it is recipe for concern. I am told I need to be delivering now/soon. If they had an opening at the hospital then, I would have been sent there immediately. I was panicked and excited to meet my baby girl.
2 days later, I had a scheduled induction. I went in at 7pm the night of the 4th. I was told to eat before coming in, because that would be my last meal til after the baby was born. Little did I know, I wouldn't be able to eat for several days, because I was so sick and out of it.
I was given cervadil to help ripen my cervix, and then at 3am, I was 3cm and they issued Pitocin. Up until that point, I knew I wanted to try for as natural as it could be, and I was handling it well. They broke my water, and had to do it twice. That skyrocketed my pain, to the point, I got the shakes, and couldnt control my body temp or my shaking. I was in so much pain. So at 3cm, I demanded an epidural. I just remember being young, scared and in pain.
I get my epidural and start feeling better, but also feel completely out of it. The epidural made me sick, so I was also given an anti-puking drug. I am now, completely out of it, but I guess I am able to sleep and I progress in peace. Not really the way I envisioned my labor with Falynn.
Fast forward to 1:40ish, I am finally 10cm and ready to start pushing. I think yes, pretty soon I will meet my little one. Noone told me, it would take an exhausting 2 hours to push Falynn out, and I would be on oxygen, begging for a C-section. One of my last pushes, my doctor says, its better to be cut and get the baby out in this next push, because I am going to tear anyways. Right before I have Falynn, they up my dose of epidural again, even though I requested to be taken off of it. I was numb for hours. It was scary. At 3:43 Falynn is born. She was tiny, 6.13 oz, and 19.5 inches long.
I barely get a glimpse of her, before they rush her off, because her coloring isnt right. Im spread eagle, Being sewn from hole to hole, and have yet to see my baby. I remember yelling at my mom,stop saying how cute she is, and stop describing her, I want to see her myself.
Finally, I am able to see and breastfeed Falynn. Really, that makes it all worth it. But looking back, I felt robbed of a better birth experience.

I was transferred to a tiny room, just waiting to be discharged. But instead, I was kept on a catherter for 3 days after, dispite my pleading, and begging to take it out. I knew I had the ablitily to relieve myself, but noone would believe me. So I was kept cathertered til the day I was discharged. Screw 6 weeks, It took months to not be in pain, and even longer to be able to have sex.
I knew that the next pregnancy and labor would be different, because I would never allow my body to go through something that traumatizing again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment