Monday, November 21, 2011

Kylan's Birth Story

This time I knew better. I wanted a midwife, or someone who would listen to me atleast. I wanted a water birth and I wanted to have the baby as natural as I could, while still being in a hospital. VA Beach served its purpose in that respect. I wish I lived there, just so I can have that birth experience again. I didnt get my water birth, but that is on me. I didnt find time to take the needed class, so my fault.
Everything else, was awesome. Midwives, atleast the ones I had, are more hands off, and allow you to participate in the whole pregnancy and birth experience. I got to check my urine and learn all about what is normal and not, I'd weigh myself.. Which also saved time, since I wasn't bouncing between nurse and doctor.
Anyways, fast forward to the day of Kylan's birth, which oddly enough both her and Fal were born 40 weeks and 2 days. Fal's EDD Aug 3, and she was born the 5th, Ky's EDD Jan 9th and she was born the 11th.
I wish I took more notes on time and everything, but I wasn't sure I was in labor and I was still taking care of Fal during this whole thing so its all guesses leading up to the hossy.
I tossed and turned the night before, but that's normal for me. I wake up around 6:30 and just feel off. I think I have the stomach flu, and quickly start alternating between toilet and bath tub for different kinds of relief. It really just felt like I needed to go to the bathroom.. It took me awhile to catch onto my contractions. :)
Fal wakes up at some point, and I am chasing her, and running to the bathroom still. Finally, I get it, and start timing contractions. At this point, I wake up David, and tell him i need help with Fal, because I am starting to be in alot of pain, and think I may be in labor.
Finally we call our friends to come watch Fal, since I am pretty sure we need to head to the hospital.
We get there around 3 pm. ( I think, I asked David, and his response was "im not sure what your asking me") I walked in, and they made me ride in the stupid wheelchair even though I asked to walk. We had to go through emergency since it was a Sunday. I get to the labor ward, and I talk to the nurse, who says the midwife will be there soon to check me, but they are probably going to send me home, since they have never seen anyone be able to speak so calmly while in labor., Turns out I am already 4cm and the midwife asks to break my water. I agree and off we go. I start off walking around, and then trying different positions in bed and using counter pressure to deal with the pain. I had bad back labor with Kylan, and ended up in the shower, on a labor ball, as my last ditch effort before getting an epidural. The nurse really tried to reason with me, she said I only have about a half hour left til I push this baby out, and to just wait it out. Looking back, I probably could, but in that moment, I was done, and exhausted.
I had my epidural, which always makes me loopy, but they gave me such a low dose, that when kylan was born shortly after at 8:13pm, I was able to get up and walk around. I didnt tear or need cutting, which makes me wonder how Kylan who was bigger was able to leave me in one piece and Fal wasnt...
Kylan was 7.8lbs and 19.75 inches long, they placed her right on me, and I was able to nurse almost as soon as they did.
This birthing experience was so different and so was the recovery. I was up and eating shortly after, I wasnt catherter except for the actually pushing part. I got up and showered, and was able to pick Kylan up without needing someone to hand her to me (which happened with fal, since I couldnt move)
I was discharged with baby in tow, exactly 24ish hours after I had her. Fal and David visited several times after I had Kylan.. including at 1am that night.
I won't ever go back to a traditional hospital birth now.

No comments:

Post a Comment